This fast and simple vinegar-based coleslaw options an apple cider vinegar dressing with crunchy, shredded cabbage and carrots. It’s flavorful, wholesome and mayo-free.
In case you’re something like me you most likely grew up consuming creamy, mayo-based coleslaw.
These days I a lot desire a vinegar primarily based coleslaw over one with mayo. The vinegar dressing is lighter and actually lets the crunchy cabbage and carrots shine.
The model I’m sharing in the present day is a fairly basic recipe seasoned with a easy six-ingredient vinegar primarily based dressing. To actually increase the dietary content material I used apple cider vinegar and as an alternative of white sugar I went with maple syrup, certainly one of my favourite natural sweeteners. Maple syrup is unrefined and has antioxidants, in addition to, different nutritional vitamins and minerals together with quantity of zinc and manganese.
What’s Apple Cider Vinegar
First, let’s begin with the fundamentals, what makes apple cider vinegar totally different? Apple cider vinegar is a vinegar constituted of fermented apple juice. The method begins by including yeast to crushed apples.
The yeast ferments the sugars and turns them into alcohol. At this level, micro organism is added which additional ferments the alcohol and turns it into acetic acid… the primary energetic compound present in most vinegars.
Acetic acid provides vinegar its pungent scent and taste and can be accountable for lots of the well being advantages.
Elements in a Vinegar Based mostly Coleslaw
Right here’s all the pieces you’ll want for this no-mayo, vinegar primarily based coleslaw:
- inexperienced cabbage – be at liberty to purchase pre-shredded cabbage for a time-saving shortcut! It’s also possible to use a mix of inexperienced and crimson cabbage for added shade!
- carrots – identical as above, purchase pre-shredded to avoid wasting time or search for a coleslaw combine that has each cabbage and carrots included. Simply remember to measure out about 5 cups so you will have dressing to salad ratio.
- apple cider vinegar – in case you’re eager about studying extra about why I really like ACV, take a look at this put up in regards to the health benefits of apple cider vinegar.
- maple syrup – this provides a contact of sweetness.
- dry mustard – you’ll be able to substitute 1 teaspoon of dried mustard for 1 tablespoon of ready mustard.
- floor celery seed – a should for coleslaw!
- sea salt and floor pepper – to carry all the flavors collectively.
Can I Prep Coleslaw Forward of Time?
Sure! I truly suggest making this recipe forward of time so the flavors have time to marinate. I’ve loved it proper after making and it’s scrumptious, however the flavors appear to get higher with time. After prepping, retailer in an hermetic container within the fridge for 4-5 days.
Find out how to Serve Vinegar Based mostly Coleslaw
This salad is fairly low in energy, oil-free and excellent for serving as a light-weight and refreshing aspect salad or as a crunchy topping for a wide range of dishes. Right here’s what I like to recommend pairing it with:
- Grilled meat – Immediately stage up a fundamental grilled meal with a aspect of contemporary coleslaw. It’s wonderful with grilled chicken.
- Tacos – This the crunchy slaw is wonderful as a topping for tacos. It might be delish on these fish tacos.
- Burgers – You’ll be able to’t go improper including slaw to any burger however I’m excited to attempt it on these black bean burgers.
- BBQ sandwiches – Coleslaw and BBQ are the final word combo! High a pulled pork or BBQ rooster sandwich with slaw or attempt my BBQ jackfruit sandwiches for a vegan possibility!
Find out how to Retailer Leftover Coleslaw
Like I discussed above, this coleslaw shops rather well! Retailer any leftovers in an hermetic container within the fridge for 4-5 days.
Extra Cookout + BBQ Recipes
On the lookout for extra healthy cookout recipes? Strive a few of these:
Extra Vinegar Recipes to Strive:
In case you do that apple cider vinegar coleslaw please remember to go away a remark and star ranking under letting me know the way it seems. Your suggestions is tremendous useful for the EBF crew and different EBF readers!
A fast and simple vinegar-based coleslaw with shredded cabbage and carrots. It is flavorful, mayo-free and full of vitamins.
- 4 cups shredded inexperienced cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon floor celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon floor pepper
Toss: In a big bowl toss collectively shredded cabbage and carrots.
Make dressing: Mix vinegar, maple syrup, dry mustard, celery seed, salt and floor pepper in a small bowl.
Combine components: Pour dressing over cabbage combination and toss to coat.
Serve: Let combination sit for at the least 10 minutes within the fridge, stir and serve.
- Cabbage – I used inexperienced cabbage, however be at liberty to make use of a mixture of inexperienced and crimson. Purple is so colourful and fairly!
- Meal prep – This recipe will be made forward of time and can style higher after having a little bit time to marinate.
Serving: 1cupEnergy: 49kcalCarbohydrates: 12gProtein: 1gSodium: 147mgFiber: 2gSugar: 8g
This put up might embody affiliate hyperlinks. Thanks on your assist.